You will hear this saying a lot in the coming weeks leading up to Christmas. Preparation is not only a great idea help your Christmas planning run smoothly, but it’s worth preparing for those unforeseen circumstances around the festive period.
The last thing you want around this time of year is to worry about burglars but according to The Office of National Statistics, police recorded burglary is up by 3% and theft by 7% compared to last year. So, it is imperative we do as much as possible to keep ourselves, our loved ones and our property as safe as possible.
Follow a few simple tips for a safer holiday season:
Staying Safe this Winter
- Register on Immobilise: Before you get too busy with Christmas preparations take some time to record your valuable items on Immobilise, so you have a secure list of precious items.
- Deter potential criminals by investing in a motion sensor outdoor flood light and some Immobilise window stickers.
- Fake it till you make it, with a Fake TV that recreates the same flickering glow that looks like someone is watching TV, and invest in light timers especially if you are going away.
- Keep curtains closed, at night especially when it gets darker earlier and ensure Christmas presents are out of site.
- Don’t advertise on social media when you plan to go away. Publishing your movements can let burglars know when there is an empty house.
- Preparation is key. Be sure to cancel any scheduled deliveries such as newspaper or milk deliveries that might alert someone you aren’t there.
- Don’t hide spare keys. Burglars often watch a house for a few days before attempting to break in and leaving them a key makes it that much easier!
- Secure the outside of your home with deadlocks on windows and make sure any sheds or garages are secure.