2016 has already been a busy year for Recipero resulting in our connected device fraud and theft intelligence solutions producing some very interesting statistics.
A more detailed report will be published at the end of Q1, for now though here are some significant facts you might find interesting.
A print optimized version of these stats is available here.
- In the first two months of 2016, Recipero provided intelligence on transactions involving over 10 million devices globally.
- 31% of devices reported stolen were NOT blocked by operators.
- The Apple 6, 6s and Samsung S6 were the most stolen phones in the US in the first quarter of this year.
- Day 48 is the most likely day after taking out a lease or rental contract that a user of a device will decide to sell it for cash and stop the installment payments.
- 7% of devices that are blocked when an insurance claim is made for loss or theft are unblocked within 30 days.
- 5% of devices offered for sale or trade-in at retail were reported as lost or stolen.
- 4% of accidental damage or breakdown warranty claims were actually made on devices that had been reported as lost or stolen.
- $2,100 is the price that a stolen Apple iPhone 6 sells for in some Eastern European countries.
- Through our global reach, we have seen US stolen devices turn up in some far-reaching places including; Vietnam, Poland, Denmark, Jamaica, Romania, Spain, Mexico, Italy, South Africa and Colombia.
To keep up to date with future news and releases like this please sign up to our newsletter.