Chester Police wants all residents to make sure that thieves do not have a happy New Year. Peter Lawless of the Proactive Policing Team said that:
For burglars New Year’s Eve isn’t a holiday, it’s the perfect time to carry out crime.
Many houses are obviously empty and people are often too busy celebrating to consider they could be potential victims of criminal activity.
By taking some of the steps detailed suggested by the Chester Chronical and below you can reduce the risk of becoming a target for thieves this festive season:
- Plan your night out, including how to get home safely.
- At home, always use window and door locks.
- Don’t leave sets of car keys on display either inside or outside in garage and shed doors.
- Use timer switches on lights and leave a radio playing to give the impression there is someone at home.
- Wherever you are, make sure any valuable belongings you have are property marked with your house number and postcode either using UV markers or etching tools. Marking products such as Smart Water are also valuable. Visit www.immobilise.com and register your valuables securely on line – if stolen this will assist the police to identify and return items to you.
Inspector Lawless added:
If you do notice anyone acting suspiciously report it to Cheshire Police. Support us working over Christmas and New Year by helping us to make the festive season safer for all.
To read the source article please go to: The Chester Chronical