Following string of bike thefts and a successful operation to catch the thieves responsible Bristol police have made several suggestions on how to avoid becoming a victime of bicycle related crime.
Police are urging people to always secure their bikes and to take with them any objects that can be removed.
Their advice includes:
- Invest in quality locks. For a decent lock expect to spend a minimum of £40 or approximately 20% of the value of your bike;
- Register your bike for free by visiting national property database Immobilise (www.immobilise.com). If the worst happens and your bike is stolen police can use the database to reunite you with your property;
- Always lock your bike to an immovable object and don’t just lock the frame to the wheel;
- Don’t lock your bike in the same place on a regular basis. It could be stolen to order;
- Always use two different locks.
For more details please see the source article at: http://www.bristol247.com/